This week looks like the week of failed experiments. I tried a no-bake cookie, which stuck to the plates. Then, I decided to lose the traditional cookies and make a coconut cookie bar. This turned out tasty, but still a bit messy, from one reason or another. The recipe is from Cookbook Recipes. Oh, and my camera broke, so this is just what I managed to shoot this morning.
- 140g butter
- 150g brown sugar
- 320g flour
- 600g condensed milk
- 250g coconut
- 125g yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 600g chocolate (dark, milk or combined
For the condensed milk (if you don’t have any):
- 375ml milk
- 500g powdered sugar
- 45g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- First prepare the condensed milk (skip this if you have commercially available milk): put all the ingredients in a sauce pan over low heat, until sugar and butter melt. Bring to boil and boil for 10 minutes, stirring continually. Set aside and stir until cool. It should become thicker than milk, or at least so they say. Mine didn’t. You’d better find some in a supermarket…
- Cream butter and sugar. Add the flour and yoghurt and make a crumbling batter. Arrange in a greased pan (1.5 cm thick layer) and bake for 8-9 minutes. Set aside to cool
- Combine coconut with the condensed milk, egg and vanilla extract and arrange the combination in a layer over the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Set aside to cool
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate over a pot of boiling water. I didn’t do that, I used the microwave (seems like I never learn), so I ruined the chocolate. Used 400g Nutella cream instead. Make a layer on top of the coconut and, once cooled, refrigerate over night
- Cut in pieces remembering to clean the knife with cold water after every cut. Keep in the refrigerator to prevent chocolate from melting
This is it. Not spectacular, nor good looking, but tasty indeed. It might be just me, I love coconut.
Have a lovely Sunday!